often to view updates.)
Bentley Hall (1820)
Bears the name of the Reverend William Bentley, D.D., who gave his valuable library to the College. It houses administrative offices. The Bentley Tower contains a carillon, the gift of Gary M. Brost ’74 and Willow Wilcox Brost ’74. Bentley entered in the National Register of Historic Places on May 6, 1977.
"Federalist red brick building topped by a white bell tower made famous by the cow which president Bill McKinley once put there; contains the administration offices with ROTC offices and post office in the basement."
Ruter Hall (1853)
Named for the Reverend Martin Ruter, second president of the College. Home to the Department of Modern and Classical Languages and its classrooms, faculty offices and language lab. It is included in the National Register of Historic Places. When originally built in 1854, it housed the library, chapel, and classrooms. "'Honest-looking,' red brick, box-like building next to Lord's Gate. Houses the education, psychology, and secretarial studies departments."
Hulings Hall (1879)
Now part of the Brooks/Walker Complex. Erected by Mr. Marcus Hulings and citizens of Meadville, it was Allegheny’s first dormitory for women. In addition to double and single rooms, it contains lounges and laundry facilities. It has been renovated many times over the years.
Montgomery Gymnasium (1896–reconstructed in 1920)
Contains a gymnasium and dance studio and is used primarily for dance classes and performances. "The two gyms across the street from Lord's Gate, (Old gym is for the girls, new one for the boys); swimming pool saturates the basement of Montgomery. "
Newton Observatory (1901)
The gift of Mrs. Mary W. Newton, in memory of her husband, Captain D.C. Newton, who was once a student of the College. It contains a nine-inch telescope. The Office of Safety & Security is located here. " Little dome-topped structure next to the chapel; protects the telescope and ambitious G-4 students."
Ford Memorial Chapel (1901–renovated in 1953)
The gift of Captain John B. Ford, in memory of his wife, Mary Bower Ford. The seating capacity of the chapel is 330. Ford Chapel is the center of campus religious life and is used extensively for public lectures, recitals, dramatic performances, and college ceremonies. The building was partially renovated in the 1990s, including the restoration of its antique stained glass and replacement of the slate roof. "Grey stone church next to Ruter; scene of Wednesday morning chapel services, Thursday night lectures, Sunday morning services, and nightly Singers' rehearsals."
Reis Hall (1902)
Enlarged and refurnished in 1931, renovated in 1979 and remodeled in 1998. The gift of William Edward Reis, Class of 1869. The building served most effectively as the library of the College for 74 years until it was replaced by the Lawrence Lee Pelletier Library in 1976. It has been renovated to house the offices of the Dean of Students, the Allegheny Center for Experiential Learning (ACCEL) —which includes the Allegheny Leadership Program, Career Services, Community Service, and International Programs and Services—the Counseling Center, Residence Life, and the Office of Spiritual and Religious Life. "Brownstone just up the driveway from Bentley; a study of 'Bastard Gothic architecture' on the outside and students amid books on the inside."
Cochran Hall (1908)
A gift of Mrs. Sarah B. Cochran, the College’s first woman trustee. Restored to its former elegance in 2005, Cochran Hall now houses the Patricia Bush Tippie Alumni Center. Development and Alumni Affairs offices are on the second floor. "Red brick building next to the gyms; ASG, Campus, and Kaldron, offices, public kitchen, two hi-fi rooms, three conference rooms and dorm rooms for 14 boys take up the second floor; lounges, TV and game rooms fill the first floor; and the bookstore and grill characterize the basement. This building is the hub of campus social life with dances, coffee hours."
Carnegie Hall (1915–completely renovated in 1993)
Occupied by the Departments of Psychology and Women’s Studies and houses their various classrooms, laboratories, a lecture hall, a computer lab, and faculty offices. "Yellow brick, next to South Hall dining room; origin of many strange smells and chem students."
Alden Hall (1915)
Named for Timothy Alden. Houses the Departments of Computer Science and Geology. In addition to well-equipped laboratories and lecture halls, the building contains the Walter M. Small Library and a map room that is a regional repository for topographical maps published by the United States Geological Survey. "Yellow brick hall across Prospect Street from Cochran; home of the Allegheny Alligator and all good biology students. "
Arter Hall (1929)
Largely the gift of the late Frank A. Arter, Class of 1864. Contains a small theatre and offices and lecture rooms of the Department of History and the Department of Mathematics. Arter was the longtime home of the Department of Communication Arts, which moved into the Vukovich Center for Communication Arts in 2009. "Ivy-covered classrooms next to Baldwin for the English, philosophy, history, and speech and drama departments; the Playshop in the basement witnesses dramatic creations."
Caflisch Hall (1929)
A co-ed residence hall. Made possible in part by a gift of Mrs. Margaret E. Caflisch as a memorial to her husband, Jacob C. Caflisch. Single rooms, triples, and quads are provided, as well as a student lounge, a student laundry, and study rooms. "U-shaped, red brick structure next to Alden; inhabited by upperclass and freshman men."
Anna Cloyde Brooks Hall (1940–completely renovated in 1961)
Named in honor of Mrs. Charles A. Brooks of Pittsburgh. It is the central wing of a residence hall complex for women students and contains lounge areas, a recreation room, a dining room accommodating 400 students, a library and a balcony on the second floor. The Center for Political Participation opened its offices in the former alumni rooms in 2001. "Great, sprawling structure with recently added wing which one runs into if he goes too fast to make the turn at the end of the main driveway. Brooks will house all upperclass women and a few stray freshmen. "
Walker Hall (1941)
Named in memory of Colonel Lewis Walker, a graduate of the Class of 1877 and a generous, devoted friend of the College. It is the north wing of a residence hall complex for women students and contains student lounges and laundry facilities. In 1962 Walker Hall was enlarged by the addition of Walker Annex.
The Andrew Wells Robertson Athletic Complex (1949)
Named for Mr. Andrew Wells Robertson, benefactor of the College and for many years a member of the Board of Trustees. This 80-acre area contains a steel and brick stadium. It has eight athletic fields that service football, baseball, soccer, track, field hockey, softball, lacrosse, rugby and intramural sports. An additional 102 acres of wooded area contains beautiful ravines, cross country ski and walking trails, a challenge course, and a picnic shelter. A facility containing six locker rooms, training and equipment rooms, coaches/officials’ rooms and public restrooms was constructed in 1986. Twelve lighted tennis courts were constructed in 1996. In fall 2006, Allegheny completed a major modernization and renovation of its Robertson Athletic Complex to include a new eight-lane competition track, a FieldTurf playing surface, scoreboard and lights. The renovated field was named in honor of Frank Fuhrer ’48, whose lead gift of $1 million, along with donations by numerous other alumni and friends, made the renovations possible.
Baldwin Hall (1953)
A residence hall named for Mr. Ernest E. Baldwin, whose bequest, along with gifts from friends of the College, made possible the construction of this building. The co-ed hall includes student lounges and laundry facilities. A north wing was added in 1979 and contains additional rooms and a study lounge.
"Large-windowed building across Main Street from Caflisch; reverberates with the sounds of freshman men. "
Lewis P. Quigley Hall (1953)
Named for Mr. Lewis P. Quigley. Given in part by his daughter, Mrs. Adelaide Gibson, and in part by other friends of the College. This building houses the Departments of Economics and Political Science with the corresponding faculty offices. It contains classrooms, a lecture hall, computer labs, and a lounge.
"Red brick expanse crowning the queen in back of Arter; political science, economics, math, and sociology departments conduct classes there."
Schultz Hall (1960, called South Hall until 1992)
A residence hall that includes attractive lounge areas and a banquet hall with a capacity of 450. The Harry C. Winslow Health Center and the Office of Financial Services are located in this building. In 1992, the building was dedicated to John Richie Schultz, former professor of English, dean of men, and fourteenth president of the College. "Red brick structure at the south end of the campus (It figures!); home of 150 freshmen women; dining room for freshman men and women, (Here's your chance, girls); infirmary and admissions offices on the first and second floors — they get you coming and going."
Murray Hall (1961)
Made possible by the gift of Maud Murray. This building was renovated in 1998 to house the College Computer Center. "Red brick, motel type structure in back of the fieldhouse and across a "swamp"; houses the art and language departments."
Carr Hall of Science (1964, completely renovated in 1995)
Named for Mr. Ossian E. Carr, Class of 1900, whose gift, along with the gifts of others, made possible the construction of this science building. It houses the Departments of Physics and Environmental Science, with the appropriate classrooms and laboratories, and is also used by the Department of Chemistry for introductory classes. Carr also contains the Wible Planetarium. Construction on the innovative Richard J. Cook Center for Environmental Science was completed in 2012. "Large hole beside Arter; will house the physics department eventually."
Crawford Hall (1964)
A men’s residence hall named for the late president William H. Crawford. It has lounges, a laundry room, and study rooms.
Ravine-Narvik Hall (1966)
A three-section residence hall that includes double rooms, study rooms, and lounges. Narvik Hall is a gift of E. M. Arentzen and is named for his hometown in Norway.
Campus Buildings When We Were at Allegheny.... What a beautiful Campus
**********Descriptions in quotes are from the Campus newspaper, fall 1962, to help us as freshmen find our way around Allegheny's campus.***********